Thursday, January 22, 2009

Always get more volunteers than you need

This evening I helped execute an event that I had co-chaired for the Mizzou Alumni Association, Boone County Chapter. It was a state legislative forum and, honestly, there was very little for me to do. My major responsibility was to get volunteers to help with set-up, to staff the sign-in table, and to do a few other odds and ends.

As is pretty typical, one of the volunteers e-mailed at the last minute to say that he couldn't make it.

No panic, though, because I had recruited about twice as many volunteers as we really needed. Why? Because some percentage of people who say they will help you, will let you down every darned time. My estimate is a third to a half.

Always get more volunteers than you need; twice as many couldn't hurt.

Sean Spence
Community Events
www.commevents.com
seanspence@earthlink.net

No comments:

Post a Comment